Thursday 24 August 2017

I am back - news and ideas

I am back working on this as my primary project. While I was away I have been giving this game a lot of thought and I have decided to overhaul the entire project.

Here are a few reasons why:

1. User generated content - I want to allow the game to be able to run user generated content, which will allow people to create their own characters, locations, actions, jobs etc. The older version I was creating was not designed with this in mind. So it would of been a matter of going back and changing a lot of code. The new version will be aware of this during the coding process. That being said user generated content won't be available until much further in development at least until all the major systems have been put in place. The most you might get is NPC customisation in early versions.

2. Feature creep - I was thinking of new ideas and start implementing them before finishing other things. I was left with a lot of half finished features and code all over the place which leads to the next one.

3. Messy Code - I wasn't documenting my work very well. I wasn't making my code more efficient due to so many features in development at the same time.  So I have a lot of testing features where they shouldn't of been, instead of keeping it nice and neat.

So, now what?

Well I have started making the game again in a fresh project. The good news is I have a lot of usable code in my previous project. So it is a matter of copy, pasting and editing where I need it to be. So I don't think it will take me long to get back to where I was. For example the UI, the time/calendar and movement systems will still work with only small changes needed. NPC interaction will get a major overhaul.

To keep my self on task I will release a demo when movement and basic NPC interaction is completed. Basic meaning, chatting, asking for their number, flirting and the way the relationship increases and decreases depending on actions taken.

fv21


No comments:

Post a Comment